In this article, you will learn about building and survey plan in Nigeria. you will also learn about the relationship between approved building plan and registered survey, including the benefits of getting approved building plan.
Table of contents
- What is a Building Plan?
- What is a Survey Plan?
- Relationship Between Approved Building Plan and Registered Survey
It is very important to note that building and survey plan are not the same. In this article, we are also going to look at benefits of getting approved building plan before commencing your building project, including the differences and relationship between building and survey plan in Nigeria.
What is a Building Plan?
A building plan is a graphical representation of what a building will look like when it is completed. It is prepared by a certified architect. It is important for the building plan to be approved before construction commences on your site to avoid penalties and other disturbances.
Building plans are typically drawn to scale, which means that each inch on the drawing represents a specific number of inches in the real world. This allows architects and engineers to accurately calculate the materials and labor required to construct the building.
Building plans are also used by local governments to ensure that new buildings meet the zoning and building codes. In most cases, a building permit cannot be issued without approved building plans.
Building plans are an essential part of the construction process. They help to ensure that buildings are safe, efficient, and meet the needs of their users.
Benefits of getting approved building plan before commencing your building project
In Nigeria, it is mandatory to obtain an approval from the relevant authorities before you can start construction. The process of obtaining an approval can be complex and time-consuming, however, the stress is worth it. Doing it right will help you avoid any problems in the future. The benefits of getting approved building plan before commencing your building project include:
- Legal compliance: An approved building plan ensures that your construction project complies with all applicable laws and regulations. This can help you avoid fines and other penalties.
- Efficient construction: An approved building plan can help you ease the construction process, which can save you time and money.
- Peace of mind: Having an approved building plan gives you peace of mind knowing that your construction project is following all the building rules and regulations.
- Structural safety: An approved building plan is designed by a qualified architect or engineer. Tis professional will ensure that your building is structurally safe.
What is a Survey Plan?
A survey plan, on the other hand, is a document that shows the size and the boundary of a parcel of land. It gives a precise measurement and description of that land. A survey plan must be logged in at the office of the Surveyor-General of the state before it is considered to be registered. The people that handle survey issues are Surveyors and they are regulated by the office of the Surveyor-General. A survey plan must contain the following information:
- The name of the owner of the land surveyed
- The Address or description of the land surveyed
- The size of the land surveyed
- The drawn-out portion of the land survey and mapped out on the survey plan.
- The beacon
- The surveyor who drew the survey plan and the date it was drawn up.
- A stamp showing the land is either free from Government acquisition or not.
Benefits of Obtaining a Survey Plan for your Land
- It can help to resolve disputes over property lines.
- It can be used to sell or transfer a property.
- It can be used to apply for a building permit.
Things to keep in mind when getting a Survey Plan
- Make sure that the surveyor is licensed by the Surveyor-General of Nigeria.
- Get multiple quotes from different surveyors.
- Ensure that the survey plan is accurate and up-to-date.
- Get the survey plan approved by the Surveyor-General.
Relationship Between Approved Building Plan and Registered Survey
The relationship between these two important documents in Nigeria cannot be overstressed They are two important documents in real estate you cannot do without as long as you want to remain a law abiding citizen and a smart real estate investor.
It is important to note that your building plan cannot be approved until you have been able to provide the registered survey plan. This means it is very important to include the money for these two documents in your budget when planning to acquire a land. Even if you buy a land that has a registered survey, it is advisable to process another one in your name to avoid encountering challenges when registering it.
On the other hand, do not bother yourself if you buy a house that already has building and survey plans, the Deed(the legal document) transfers all the documents to you by law. Do not be bothered getting another registered survey and approved building plan in your name, unless you’re planning to pull it down and erect another structure.
One of the advantages of buying your landed properties through us is that we help you go through the stress of registering the survey plan when you buy lands from us and we help you bear the stress of obtaining an approved building plan when you buy our apartments.
In this article, we have explained the relationship between building and survey plans in Nigeria and benefits of getting approved building plan. Download the e-book titled “Real Estate Investing for Beginners” to learn about ways you can make profitable real estate investing decisions.